COOKIE DIRECTIONS: from LilaLoa
- Cream butter, shortening, and sugar together.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add baking powder and salt and mix again.
- Stir in the cocoa until well blended.
- Add flour 1 cup at a time. IF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE COOKIES RIGHT AWAY, ADD 3 1/2 cups flour. If you are going to “chill” the dough, or just wait for another day to make your cookies, STOP AT 3 cups. It will be totally soft and look all wrong, and you will want to ignore me completely and add more flour, but I’m telling you — DON’T DO IT. Practice self-restraint. You will be glad you did, and I will be proud of you.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface. Bake at 375 F for 6 1/2 minutes. (I roll my cookies 3/16″ thick.)
FILLING DIRECTIONS: from Sugar Kissed
- Beat together the butter and almond butter until combined and smooth.
- Sift the powdered sugar into the bowl and beat again for a couple of minutes.
- Mix in vanilla extract.
- Take one cookie and spread almond filling on top.
- Seal with icing
- Add the second cookie for the top.